Summary: This tutorial aims to show you how to convert WMV to a fully compatible video format with PS4/3, so that you can have a ease playback on them.
Both PS3 and PS4 offer you almost everything ranging from hundreds of video games, a variety of add-ons to free-playable demos. What's important, they can also act as a powerful home media center to stream photos, music and videos to HD TV for playing and sharing. You can copy or stream many kinds of videos for playback via PS4/3. Chances are you have some WMV video files, ever tried to import them for further playing, only to find that either PS4 or PS3 won't accept WMV files?
That's much weird! Why PS4/3 can't play WMV video files sucessfully? After digging for some information on Sony PlayStation official, we'll figure out PS4/3 only support for a limited video formats such as AVI, MKV, MP4, MPEG-TS, MP3, and AAC. And as you see, WMV is excluded in this list. That's why we always encounter variety of problems when importing WMV videos into PS4/3.
In this case, to successfully play WMV video files on PS4/PS3, the optimal choice is to convert WMV to PS4/PS3 recognized formats like MP4. To finish the task easily and quickly, here you are strongly recommend to try the Brorsoft Video Converter.
The program is a comprehensive tool that helps you to convert video files (like MKV, MOV, VOB, WMV, etc.) into the specific video formats that are playable on the PS3, PS4, iPad, iPhone, Android, Xbox, Samsung TV and many more. It can meet your need of converting WMV videos to PS3/PS4 with original quality. With it, you can finish the task with only three steps. Before converting, you can crop, trim, add watermark or subtitles to the video if you want. If you're using a Mac, simple turn to the Video Converter for Mac (OS X El Capitan included), which has the same function as the Windows version. Here is the detailed guide on how to convert WMV to a fully compatible format with PS3/PS4.
How to Convert WMV to PS3/PS4 Compatible Format
Step 1. Import WMV files
On the program click on "File" button to upload your .wmv files. Alternatively, you can directly drag and drop your WMV videos to the program. If you have several video files, and wanna combine/merge WMV video files for PS4/3, you just need to tick off the "Merge into one" box.
Step 2 Select the output format
Click on the dropdown menu of "Format" and then move your pointer to "PSP/PS3". From the sub-list, the "PS3 Video(480P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)", "PS3 Video(720P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)", "PS3 Video(1080P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)" are all the friendly formats for both PS3 and PS4.
Tip: If the default video/parameters can't meet your needs, just click Settings icon to adjust the video codec, bitrate, frame rate, audio sample rate, etc to get a decent video as you want. In principle, the larger input values, the better output quality, but the corresponding larger file size.
Step 3. Begin the conversion
Now click on "Convert" button and your WMV will be converted to PS3/PS4 supported formats.
How to Play converted WMV files on PS3/PS4?
After all, the PlayStation 3 allowed you to not only play videos, but also store them locally on the hard drive. Unfortunately the latter is not possible with the PS4 (yet!), but you can use a USB stick to play your favourite videos, and here's how.
1. Your USB stick needs to be in FAT32 or exFAT (the latter didn't work for me, and NTFS definitely won't work). This means that 4GB+ files may be an issue so cut them down to size if need be.
2. Windows 7/8 don't make it easy to format your drives to FAT32, so you will have to download a third party piece of software here: FAT32Format
3. FAT32Format will allow you to format the drive very quickly to FAT32.
4. If this still doesn't work, you may have to go for a full format.
* Go to Start Menu -> Type CMD in Search Programs and Files, right-click to run as admin [Windows 7]
* Right-click Start button -> Select Command Prompt (Admin) [Windows 8/8.1]
* Type "format i: /FS:FAT32" without the quotes, where i is replaced with whatever the USB drive is, be sure to get the right drive.
* Press enter and it should start formatting, but it will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive.
5. Create a folder on the USB stick, and place all videos into this folder. It doesn't need to be called PS4, just needs to be a folder, else you won't see anything.
6. Audio needs to be in a folder called Music.
7. You can now go into the Media Player and select the USB stick from the list to watch your videos. Media Servers on your network will also be listed here i.e. Plex etc.
Top 1: Brorsoft 4K Video Converter for Mac
Guide to Retrieve iPhone Data from SIM Card
I Can't Run My Wmv Files On My New Surface Rt ???
Get Contacts back from stolen iPhone 6S/6/5S/5C/4S/4
Convert AVI/WMV/FLV to Nexus 7 with the best Nexus 7
How to Get After Effects Work with WMV files Beautifully
Convert Video_TS folder to play on Android devices with ease
Working MOV files from Canon Rebel T5I in Sony Movie Studio
How to Watch MKV movies on Panasonic TV through USB Drive
WMV to iMovie: How to Convert and Import WMV files into iMovie