Summary: iMovie can't read and edit MOV file? Here you will find the easiest solution to open and import videos of MOV into iMovie in Mac OSX.
You probably would handle kinds of MOV video files daily, including digital MOV videos(from Nikon D750, Nikon D800, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D…), QuickTime MOV videos, downloaded MOV files, etc. And in order to get more wonderful videos, you probably will choose to edit .MOV files with iMovie or other Mac based applications on Mac OS X. While, there are dozen of .mov files can't be imported into the iMovie software, for the complex video codec of MOV files.
In fact, the reason behind is that iMovie only supports the MOV whose video codec is MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264 or AIC. So if your MOV files are not accepted by iMovie, it's probably because of the video codec incompatibility as MOV can contain various video codecs. If you’re in such a situation, there is an easy way to fix the issue.
Since Apple InterMediate Codec(AIC) is the most compatible codec introduced by Apple which ensures maximum editing quality and efficiency when working with iMovie, the common practice for MOV to iMovie workflow is, get a MOV to AIC Converter and transcode the .mov files to AIC, which will save you both time and trouble, and all you need is to drag the result videos for prompt editing. The best tool to help you get it done is Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac.
This professional Mac video converter offers an optimized preset Apple Intermediate Codec .mov for iMovie for easy access. Besides transcoding MOV video to iMovie supported videos with optimized settings while keeping the video quality, the all-in-one and easy-to-use toolkit can convert all other popular video formats like AVI, MXF, MP4, WMV, MKV, FLV, ASF, M2TS, VOB, etc. to iMovie natively supported video formats on Mac OS X (Yosemite, Mavericks and Mountain Lion included) with fast encoding speed. See how below about converting MOV files to iMovie format.
How to convert and import QuickTime MOV files to iMovie
1. After downloading, install and run the app in your Mac. Then you can either click Add button to browse and add the MOV files you want to convert or simply drag and drop the files to the item bar.
2. Click the Format box and select iMovie —> Apple InterMediate Codec(AIC) (*.mov) as output format.
3. Simply click the Convert button to start converting MOV video to iMovie friendly file types.
Additional features of this MOV to iMovie converter:
1. You can check the “Merge into one” box to join multiple video clips together.
2. If you like, adjust video and audio parameters, including the Bitrate of Video and Audio, the Codec of Video and Audio, Video Size, Sample Rate, Frame Rate, Audio Channels, etc., by clicking the Settings button on the main interface for getting the best quality.
3. You can edit the MPG video before transcoding to WMV for WMM program. Just click “Edit” button, you can trim, crop the video, or add watermark, adjust effect and embed subtitles to the videos which you will convert.
After the conversion, click the "Open" button to get the output files and then launch iMovie, choose File > Import > Movies…, to import the converted MOV video into iMovie; prepare for editing.
How to transcode Nikon MOV to ProRes for FCP
How to Convert DVD ISO to AVI and any other formats
How to Import QuickTime MOV files into Sony Vegas Pro
How to Get Avid work with Sony PXW-X500 XAVC files
How Can I Convert Sony PMW-300 XDCAM MXF to FCP
How to Convert MP4 for Editing in Windows Movie Maker